Monday, March 13, 2017

Book Review #7 - Stepbrothers in the Attic

Stepbrothers in the AtticStepbrothers in the Attic by Ryan Field
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A modern day homage to "Flowers in the Attic", Ryan Field gives us this interesting novel.

Marcus and David are a same sex couple who have been together since college. They have four wonderful children, whom they adopted. Eric and Brad are both almost eighteen, ready to go to college and start their lives. Kevin and Jasmine are still young, and need their parents. On the day that is David's birthday, Marcus and the children have a wonderful surprise planned when tragedy strikes.
With David now deceased, Marcus must figure out a way to support himself and the children. He has no choice but to call his mother and beg him to let them stay, until he can get on his feet.
Going with their last resort, the children are locked in a room on the top floor of the house, and are not allowed to come out. They barely get food or clean clothes. It is a nightmare; can this really be happening?

As a V.C. Andrews fan, I really enjoyed this homage to one of her greatest books. The same sex couple twist, did not bother me at all. In fact, I found it refreshing to have a different twist on a classic story.
I loved the twists and turns throughout the story, things that you did not see coming. The complexity of the characters is interesting. The ending, however, I did not expect. It was a great ending in my opinion, I just did not expect it.
I really loved this book and would recommend it to any fan of V.C. Andrews, or modern day stories.


*I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest reviews and opinions.*



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment